If you are unhappy with the size, shape, symmetry, or look of your breasts, you are not alone. What you may not realize is that more than 70% of all women report being dissatisfied with their chest. Your breasts make up a vital part of your overall appearance, and women who are less-than-thrilled with their chest can suffer from significant issues with their self-esteem. So, if you are part of the majority of women, you should probably be considering the idea of breast enhancement surgery.
Good Reasons to Opt for Breast Augmentation
Over the last two decades, breast augmentation has continued to rise in popularity, going up by 207% in the last 20 years. It is actually the number one cosmetic surgery procedure performed every year. As the idea of breast implants becomes more accepted and mainstream, the number of women opting for breast augmentation is expected to keep growing.
Why do women choose breast augmentation?
- To achieve feminine contours
- To create a more proportional body shape
- To restore lost breast volume following pregnancy or breast feeding
- To bring symmetry to uneven breasts
- To recreate chest shape after cancer or trauma
Today, women are learning that small or misshapen breasts are not something they must hide or simply live with. Choosing an augmentation procedure does not mean creating overly large, attention-seeking boobs; the procedure is custom-tailored to bring the individual woman proportionate curves and a more sculpted body. An experienced cosmetic surgeon, like Dr. Paul Vitenas, can create individualized treatment plans, utilizing an endless variety of implant shapes and sizes, to achieve natural-looking results.
It All Starts with the Right Implant Selection
Before your breast augmentation, you will need to decide what type and size implant will be used. At Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery, this will be done during your consultation appointment with Dr. Vitenas. This first meeting will consist of time to discuss your medical history and any current health issues. Next, Dr. Vitenas will listen to your aesthetic goals, taking measurements and showing you Before/After photographs of his recent patients. This process will help you to better visualize the final results. Breast implant sizers are available to try on under a tight t-shirt, as well as your favorite outfit. Together, with the help of Dr. Vitenas, you can confidently choose the best implant for your needs.
Choosing a breast implant will mean considering:
- Size – Implant size is measured in volume (cc), not bra cup size.
- Shape – Round implants are most popular, but teardrop (anatomically shaped) implants are a good fit for some women.
- Profile – You will decide where the implants will begin to project from the chest wall. For customizable results, most implants come in high, medium, or low profile.
- Material – Silicone implants are soft and natural looking, and are the most popular implant. Saline implants are firmer and rounder, making them a good consideration based on desired results.
- Placement – Implants can be positioned over the muscle (sub-glandular) or under the pectoral muscle (sub-muscular). Your surgeon will explain the best choice, based on the amount of existing breast tissue and your desired look.
- Incisions – Most women choose the periareolar (around the nipple) or inframammary (along breast crease) incisions. Less popular are the transaxillary (under the arm) or the TUBA (through the umbilicus).
Easy Recovery from Breast Augmentation
As breast augmentation is performed as an outpatient procedure, women are home recuperating the same afternoon. Soreness and tenderness can be expected, as there will be mild swelling. A surgical garment will be in place, which will help keep swelling down and improve your comfort level during this time.
You can plan on walking the day of surgery, slowly resuming very light activities over the first week. Most women are back to work in a week or less. Exercise, heavy lifting, and strenuous activities need to be pushed back for four to six weeks, and only after the thumbs up from your doctor. Everyone heals at their own pace, but many women find breast augmentation recovery to be smooth and their results well-worth the effort.
Enjoying the Results from Your Breast Augmentation
The results from your breast augmentation are not permanent, however you can enjoy the benefits for up to a decade or longer. The shape and positioning of your breasts will change over time, as aging, weight fluctuations, and gravity will still affect the skin. Complications are rare, but if anything changes, or you decide your breasts no longer meet your lifestyle, a revision procedure can safely address these issues.
What are you waiting for? Call Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery to schedule your breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Vitenas. Speak to a patient coordinator for more information by calling 281.407.7428.