The road to breast augmentation is a personal journey. To achieve long-term satisfaction, a woman and her surgeon must determine the “right” breast implant to match her unique needs. At first, this can feel like an overwhelming prospect. While it is exciting to day dream about bigger, perkier breasts, committing to an implant size can be daunting.
Dr. Paul Vitenas and the professionals at Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery understand the seemingly unlimited implant choices can be confusing. However, our job is to make sense of the unknown. Once you have a good grasp of the types of implants on the market today, and how sizing is best determined, you will be able to feel confident in your choice.
So what is it going to be – silicone, saline, or Gummy Bear?
- Made from a silicone shell, filled with a smooth, silicone gel
- The most popular implant, picked by over 90% of patients
- Works well above or below the muscle
- More than 200 size and shape options are available
- Provide a natural looking and feeling breast
- Made from a silicone shell
- Filled with saline solution after being placed in the breast pocket
- Generally best with a submuscular placement
- Look rounder and feel firmer than silicone implants
- Have a higher instance of rippling
Gummy Bear Implants
- The newest implant on the market
- A form stable implant, created using a realistic, tear-drop shape
- Uses a silicone shell with a high-strength, dense, gel interior
- Least likely to fold, wrinkle, or ripple
- Require a larger incision, meaning a slightly longer scar
The perfect type of implant will depend on your desired look, your body, and your budget. Saline implants are the least expensive, silicone are a bit more, and Gummy Bear implants are the highest price. During your consultation, implant sizers will be available to try on. Remember to wear a thin t-shirt, with a sheer, non-padded bra, to get the best overall impression of how each different implant looks on you.
Key Factors in Implant Sizing
- The size of your chest wall – Your surgeon will take careful measurements, as the diameter of the implant will need to proportionately fill the chest surface area.
- The amount of existing breast tissue – How much breast tissue, skin, chest shape, and nipple/areola positioning will affect the ideal implant size. Additionally, these details help determine which placement (over or under muscle) is best.
- The desired results – Appearance is, of course, vital in choosing the right breast implant. This includes how round, firm, and perky a woman wants her breasts; not just how big.
- A woman’s height, weight, and build – In order to pick out the most natural-looking implant size and shape, the surgeon will take into account all aspects of a woman’s body type.
Note that cup size is not important when choosing implant size. This is not a standard of measurement, as cup sizes are created by bra manufacturers. The final results of your breast augmentation should be judged on how they look and fit your body proportions, not the cup-size-label on your new bra.
Before and After Photographs
Before scheduling your consultation appointment, take a few minutes to look over the many before/after breast augmentation photographs available online. RealSelf, the most trusted online plastic surgery website, has hundreds of pictures available, as does the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). Finally, take a peek at Dr. Paul Vitenas’ most recent breast augmentation before/after pictures. When perusing the photographs, give the most attention to women with a similar breast shape and physical build.
With an idea of the potential results, it’s time to schedule your consultation with Dr. Vitenas. Initial appointments are complimentary for new patients, so arrange for a consultation at Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery by calling our Richmond Avenue office at 281.407.7428. Not from the Houston area? Online consultations with Dr. Vitenas are available. Fill out our Contact Us form for additional details.